Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sophomore

It was 2010’s Independence Day when I reappeared in Dehradun for my second year. Independence in real sense! No more irksome introductions, freedom from same old elementary physics and chemistry, and full on back to back lectures. I was really looking forward to it.

[Ganga at Haridwar]

Dark ages: Suggestive by the name, tis very often things really go the way we want to. Implying it, the first few months was a total disorder. The new place of residence, as chosen by me, was one of a kind. Possibly it was a perfect example of unidirectional service. Curtailing, that place offered problems even in basic commodities like water and electricity. On top of that hygiene was done away with. And the dispute of ownership of that house places the cherry on the cake. Sum all these up and result? Jaundice! So I was back at home for around fifteen days. Sick and restrained from eating my favourite savours. When I came back I was forced to change my place of residence. At least one problem solved. Then comes up the next, GNEG 224. Mechanics of Solids. The worst subject faced till now. Lucky enough I did obtain a green slip, but still it was quite instrumental in dragging down my overall grades. Next up line Durga Puja. The most awaited festival for me. Why is it bad? It is because this was the very first time that I missed it. Reason? Mid semester exams coinciding on the same days. All these had happened in the third semester only. So much for four months. The worst semester till date. As this semester ended, so did my dark ages!

[Valley towards Himachal Pradesh]

Renaissance:
After the dark ages, a revival work is sure to be placed. And the fourth semester was the one which exactly did it. Subjects were relatively easy and less. Less of lectures and more of free time. Study leaves before exams. What else can you ask for? Study went on smoothly and so did other activities. This semester I was likely to use more of my motorcycle which I had brought back from home. And the end, there was an addition of a neat 2000
kilometres to the odometer! Trips to Haridwar, Rishikesh and Ponta Sahib were the minor contributors. Very, very frequent trips to Rajpur road, Mussorie Road, KFC, Mc Donalds, in and around Dehradun and (off course) college were the majors. Being the last customers at quite a few places was what my roommate and I experienced lately. Post-midnight trips down the empty highway, revving the engine to maximum power, was something which couldn’t have been done back at home but here possibilities are unlimited. (By the way, my parents are quite ignorant of blogging). I really liked having my motorcycle here and I surely do look forward for more of it. In fourth semester, I also completed an academic software which received quite a few downloads over the internet (to be precise, 500 in 50 days). It also helped Google to recognise my name! More of it in my upcoming blog.

[Shaheed Kasmeerasingh Rd,0100 hours]

And eventually, the fourth semester is now nearly over. Summing up, this year was quite of a mixed bag. My college which was quite green earlier has even undergone quite an expansion. Proper roads have been constructed and numerous other buildings have been built. Even considering the darker phases, I can still enlist my sophomore year as the best till now. Then let’s see what my junior year has up its sleeve. But before that it’s time for a break. A really long break to unwind myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment