
It was 18th of July. The ticket read DDN. The place is Dehradun. Even though the place offered you a full scaped view of the Trans Himalayan ranges but still I was quite surprised to feel the hot and sultry weather. I guess its ‘Global Warming’ at his naughty best ; ). Soon I was at my hostel, deemed to be my second home. After hours of unpacking and settling by my mother the room was all set. Then it was time for sweet slumber. Sweet because it was the interim between the hustle bustle of the day and first day of college.
At the crowing of the alarm clock even after several depressions of the ‘snooze button’ the fact was allocated in my mind that if I do not stir out of the bed now then I’m gonna be late for the first day of college. After the crappy breakfast a nearly dilapidated van delivered us to the college. The entrance gate stood high with the characters ‘University of Petroleum and Energy Studies’ engraved on it. But soon I realised the fact the stated twenty five acre campus was not that majestic. The college area was over by the time my ears drummed ‘Oh! I am in college’. The features and snapshots placed in the prospectus, was that a gimmick? Anyways, the first day was the registration day.
The registration process was such planned by the college that even passing the thirteen years of my life in school seemed more sequential and easy to accomplish. It took the whole day for me to get the I-card with which I can proclaim myself as a student of the university.
After the devilish registration ceremony it was now time for the imp to play its part. The imp was personification of a ten day ‘Personality Enhancement Programme’. It was an attempt by the college to make our personalities even better! It consisted of events like – yoga, mentoring by someone, dance, art of living (business class version of Ramdev baba flight), etcetera. The programme was backed by some lectures too in which we were forced to digest the fact/fiction that your grades don’t matter but your communication skills, manners is what the interviewers eye for.
After ten days I was very excited to see myself on the mirror to audit the tagline of the brochure of this programme which read ‘You will be a changed person after attending it’. To my dismay I found it at the same mark where it was when I left school. Ten days wasted. Maybe I should have convinced my parents for a trip to the nearby places like Mussorie, Nainital, and Shimla etcetera. At least that would have sanctified my distressed soul which unleashed itself due to the demonic registration.
It was 3rd August. The real ‘study’ classes started. Meanwhile my parents also left. Though the college started off with a compromised note but I am hopeful of better days, after all they say – “Welcome to the best four years of your life.”

The registration process was such planned by the college that even passing the thirteen years of my life in school seemed more sequential and easy to accomplish. It took the whole day for me to get the I-card with which I can proclaim myself as a student of the university.
After the devilish registration ceremony it was now time for the imp to play its part. The imp was personification of a ten day ‘Personality Enhancement Programme’. It was an attempt by the college to make our personalities even better! It consisted of events like – yoga, mentoring by someone, dance, art of living (business class version of Ramdev baba flight), etcetera. The programme was backed by some lectures too in which we were forced to digest the fact/fiction that your grades don’t matter but your communication skills, manners is what the interviewers eye for.
After ten days I was very excited to see myself on the mirror to audit the tagline of the brochure of this programme which read ‘You will be a changed person after attending it’. To my dismay I found it at the same mark where it was when I left school. Ten days wasted. Maybe I should have convinced my parents for a trip to the nearby places like Mussorie, Nainital, and Shimla etcetera. At least that would have sanctified my distressed soul which unleashed itself due to the demonic registration.
It was 3rd August. The real ‘study’ classes started. Meanwhile my parents also left. Though the college started off with a compromised note but I am hopeful of better days, after all they say – “Welcome to the best four years of your life.”


Stunning is the word to describe it!
ReplyDeletemade me Nostalgic for being in the Ist yr after reading it...... No matter how we spent it, it WILL remain to be one of the finest memories in my life......
ReplyDeletedude...u write awesome.... Had no idea u were dis good.....
ReplyDelete